Lake Area United Way makes it easier everyday for families to get healthy food on a budget, where they live, and when they need it. From supporting mobile and traditional food pantries to making snack packs for kids, Lake Area United Way works with community partners and volunteers to ensure families are supported.
If you or someone you know is struggling to get food, please check out one of these resources:
- Food Bank of Northwest Indiana: 219-980-1777, email@example.com
- Catholic Charities: 219-886-3549, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salvation Army: Gary/Merrillville-219-887-6588, Hammond/Munster-219-838-0380, East Chicago-219-398-2939
- Greater Hammond Community Services: 219-932-4800 ext. 104
- Meals on Wheels: 219-756-3663, email@example.com
We're proud of the work we are doing with partners and volunteers in the community, and together we can do more. Community Members who are interested in helping can:
- Donate food to permanent and mobile pantries, like the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana. They need shelf-stable protein like nut butters and canned meats (tuna, chicken, etc.). Pantries provide an effective way for families to get food when they need to stretch their budget to make ends meet or as temporary relief when unexpected expenses come up. When you donate, consider healthy options likes canned salmon, dried beans, or brow rice to help increase the availability of nutritious items.
- Donate money to Lake Area United Way to support local pantries through our basic needs grants. Donated money can often be stretched further by our food pantry partners because of bulk purchasing deals.
- Volunteer with the Food Bank and other food pantries to help distribute food to those in need. you can view volunteer opportunities at volunteerlakecounty.org or by reaching out to the Food Bank.
When it counts this community comes together. We see this every day and especially in response to recent events. Thank you to all of you who show up for your neighbors. We are truly in this together.